Serendipity Institute for Black Arts and Heritage and FABRIC are calling out to independent dance artists/companies based from the African and African Caribbean Diaspora in England to apply for The Black British Dance Platform.
The platform seeks to present artists/companies with existing finished works of around 45 minutes in duration and an
ambition to tour internationally. Through the Black British Dance Platform 2023, Serendipity and FABRIC will showcase two independent artists/companies as part of Let’s Dance International Frontiers 2023 supported through FABRIC’s Dance from England programme. This platform and partnership will lead to increased international connectivity and visibility of Black British Dance.
The Black British Dance Platform is part of Serendipity and FABRIC’s joint commitment to affect long-term change in dance through the leadership of both organisations. This collaboration supports their aims to cultivate a sector that is representative of contemporary Britain, broadens the presence of independent artists internationally and enriches international perspectives into England’s dance ecology.
Successful applicants will receive:
- A fee of £3,000 and support towards additional expenses to be negotiated.
- Rehearsal space at FABRIC’s international Centre for Choreography (iC4C) in the
week leading up to the performance
- The opportunity to showcase your work on Wednesday 3 May 2023 as part of Let’s
- Dance International Frontiers 2023 at Curve in Leicester.
- The opportunity to attend CPD workshops and conferences from 29 April – 7 May
- Dance From England development opportunities:
- A paid visit to an international delegation in the UK to research international
contexts for your work.
- Have your work seen by international programmers and promoters.
- Access to a bursary of up to £1000 for onward touring outside of the UK.
- Advocacy and mentorship from Serendipity and FABRIC.
- Advice and guidance on pitching and marketing your work from Serendipity and
- Opportunities to build an industry network during the wider festival programme.
To be eligible you must:
- Be an independent artist (not a National Portfolio Organisation).
- Be based in the England. If based in other UK countries, please get in touch to
access your eligibility.
- Be from the African and African Caribbean Diaspora.
- For companies, the company lead and approximately 75% of company members
should be from the African and African Caribbean Diaspora.
- Complete the Black British Dance Platform application form and monitoring from.
- Submit documentation of the proposed and previous works with your application.
- Be available for performance on 3 May 2023, and In Conversation on 4 May 2023.
- Propose a finished dance piece that is around 45 minutes in duration.
- Propose work that can practically be realised in Curve’s Studio. In terms technical
requirements, sight lines and number of company members (approximately 1-5
company members is ideal for small-mid touring).
Full description can be found here: Black British Dance Platform Call Out 2023
To apply please fill the form: https://forms.gle/QqhBTeEcjvTH2p1p9
For more information or for a copy of the application for in word document form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44(0)116 482 1395.