Calling all aspiring archivists!
Are you aged 18-30 with an interest in culture, heritage and archives?
Serendipity, Institute for Black Arts and Heritage is delivering a five day course offering industry level sessions led by cultural and heritage specialists as part of the pilot programme for the National Heritage Lottery Funded project Unearthed: Forgotten Histories.
Aimed at young people from diverse communities in the East Midlands who are currently under-represented in the heritage sector. The course will provide training with industry experts, alongside mentorship and is a bridge to future careers or qualifications. The CPD accredited course focuses on the development of key skills associated with archivists and envisaging the future of the sector. The course modules examine archives and cultural heritage through a diverse and critical lens. It aims to develop knowledge of topics sometimes overlooked in mainstream heritage courses.
- Oral History
- Copyright Essentials, including social media, and licensing and orphan records
Led by Naomi Korn (Naomi Korn Associates)
- Role of Museums in Black British History
Led by Sandra Shakespeare (Museum detox and the Black Museum)
- Very Brit(ish) Voice Film and discussion
Lost Legend – Education and its role in Archives
Led by Pawlet Brookes MBE (Serendipity)
- Marketing, technology and the changing face of audiences for the future.
- Policy, legacy and documentation through diverse eyes.
- Archiving in Action – How film can be used as a tool to celebrate, educate and preserve history.
- Unpacking Heritage Policy.
Led by Jenny Williams BEM (Take the Space
- Digital Archive – what does that mean?
- The Young Archivists course is free to attend with opportunities for networking and discussion.
- The course will be based in Leicester with a day field trip to London.
- Applicants should be aged between 18-25 years old at the point of applying.
- Applicants should available Monday 18 July – Thursday 21 July 2022, 10:00am – 5:30pm.
- We actively welcome applicants with disabilities and groups that are currently under-represented in the heritage sector including applicants of African and African Caribbean, Asian or Latinx heritage.
How to apply
Please fill the application form here and submit by Friday 17 June 2022.
If you have any enquiries about the Young Archivists course please email firstname.lastname@example.org